On March 17, 2015 the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine adopted a number of documents for implementation of the Minsk agreements, including the Complex of measures for their fulfillment. This step became a bright evidence of Ukraine’s commitment to the Minsk agreements and logics of peaceful process. They open the way for holding free and just elections in certain areas of Donetsk and Luhansk regions in accordance with legislation of Ukraine and with obligatory compliance with the OSCE standards regarding holding democratic elections with monitoring by the Bureau of democratic institutions and human rights of the OSCE, as well as further implementation of other points of the Minsk agreements:
Law of Ukraine “On amending the Law of Ukraine on a special order of local self-government in certain areas of Donetsk and Luhansk regions:
- was adopted in pursuance of the point 4, paragraph 1 of the Complex of measures and with the aim of compliance with the requirement of the point 12 of the Complex of measures in the part of holding local elections with compliance of respective OSCE standards and with monitoring on the side of the Bureau of democratic institutions and human rights of the OSCE;
- proposed innovations take into account generally recognized standards of the Bureau of democratic institutions and human rights of the OSCE, which are based on the requirements to holding free, democratic and transparent election process. Only clear compliance with these requirements will secure full legitimacy of the results of local elections and in maximum will promote to the restoration as soon as possible of the eligibility and life support in certain areas of Donbass;
- political dialogue is impossible without legitimate representative of certain areas of Donbass. With the aim of holding the local elections as soon as possible which would create conditions for initiating the political dialogue regarding the decentralization, Ukraine already in September-October 2014 fulfilled its obligations under the Minsk agreements (adoption of the laws on the special status and amnesty).
If the legitimate elections in accordance with Ukrainian legislation had been held on December 7, 2014, as it was stipulated by the agreements and the Law, political dialogue with the legitimate (elected) representatives of Donbass would have been a reality a long time ago.
At the same time holding by Russia and separatists of illegal elections on November 2, 2014 de facto disrupted the implementation of the Minsk agreements and gravely violated the logics of de-escalation enshrined therein;
-main aim of the adopted law – to prevent another disruption of agreements on the side of the separatists and return to accurate fulfillment of Minsk agreements by means of holding the local elections as soon as possible according to the OSCE standards;
- due to a great number of the internally displaced persons with origin from certain areas of Donetsk and Luhansk regions the norm of guaranteeing their electoral right became an important element. Mentioned norm is also among the requirements of the Bureau of democratic institutions and human rights of the OSCE;
-withdrawal of all illegal armed groups, their military equipment, as well as hitmen and mercenaries from the territory of Ukraine, as well as preventing illegal interference in the electoral process, including the one on the side of the illegal armed groups is a logic requirement of guaranteeing free and transparent expression of will and non-admission of repetition of the “Crimean referendum” scenario, which was held not only contrary to the Ukrainian legislation in force, but also under the muzzles of Russian machine-guns and under planned in advance Kremlin’s scenario.
Decree of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine “On determination of certain areas, cities, townships and villages of Donetsk and Luhansk regions in which a special order of local self-government is introduced”:
-was adopted with the aim of the realization of the Minsk protocol of September 5, 2014, Minsk memorandum of September 19, 2014 and Minsk “Complex of measures” of February 12, 2015 (point 4, paragraph 2), resolution of the UN security Council of February 17, 2015 №2202, in accordance with the article 1 of the Law of Ukraine “On the special order of the local self-government in certain areas of Donetsk and Luhansk regions”;
- districts or their parts, towns, townships and villages on the territories situated between the state border of Ukraine with the Russian Federation, water’s edge of the Sea of Azov and the line, determined by the appendix to this decree, which is in compliance with the Minsk memorandum of September 19, 2014 are understood as certain districts, towns, townships and villages of Donetsk and Luhansk regions, in which in accordance with the Law of Ukraine “On the special order of the local self-government in certain areas of Donetsk and Luhansk regions” a special order of local self-government is temporarily applied.
Decree of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine endorsing an address on behalf of Ukraine to the UN Security Council and the Council of the European Union to deploy an international peacekeeping operation in the territory of Ukraine:
- was adopted with the aim of guaranteeing the interests of the national security of Ukraine and exigent settlement of the crisis situation in certain areas of Donetsk and Luhansk regions, promoting effective implementation of the Minsk agreements.